What is Title I?
Title I is the largest single federal funding source for education. It is intended to help ensure all students have the opportunity to get a good education and meet academic standards.
About half of the schools in NC receive Title I funding. All 115 NC school districts receive funding.
Eleven elementary schools, as well as Meadowbrook Academy, in Stokes County receive Title I funding: Germanton, King, Lawsonville, London, Mount Olive, Nancy Reynolds, Pine Hall, Pinnacle, Poplar Springs, Sandy Ridge, Walnut Cove and Meadowbrook Academy.
How is Title I Eligibility Determined?
Each school's free and reduced lunch percentages are used as the criteria of eligibility for receiving Title I funds.
Flexible Use of Funds
Schools may use their funds to pay for educational programs that will benefit the entire school population which includes:
- At Risk
- Academically Gifted
- Exceptional Children
- Limited English Proficient
What Kinds of Services?
- Additional teachers to reduce class size
- Teacher assistants and other support staff
- Purchase of materials, supplies, equipment
- Prekindergarten programs
- Professional development for teachers and staff
- Workshops/parental involvement activities for parents