Substitute Teacher Information
How to Become A Substitute Teacher
Steps to Become a Substitute Teacher
1. Complete the online training at https://wresa.org/wresa-updates/ Cost of the substitute teacher online training is $45 and is paid online.
2. Complete a state online application
3. Print the online training certificate and submit it to: Human Resources Department, P.O. Box 50, Danbury, NC 27016-0050.
4. For the background check process, please email Patty Hiatt at email@example.com your first and last name and your email address. You will then receive an email from Aegis.bib.com with instructions for the criminal background check.
5. Obtain a written recommendation from the principal at the schools you wish to be a substitute teacher. If you do not personally know the principal, schedule an interview appointment with the principal. The principal will then submit a written recommendation to the Human Resources Department to hire or not hire for substitute teacher.
6. Following successful references and criminal background check, the Board of Education will take action on a recommendation from Human Resources to hire as a substitute teacher. The Board meets once a month, normally the third Monday to approve new hires.
7. Once the Board approves, you will receive a letter from Human Resources and be scheduled for a temporary new hire orientation.
8. The entire process can take up to 60 days to complete depending on reference response turnaround time.
9. NC Certified Educators will be paid $103.00 per day and Non-certified educators will be paid $80.00 per day.
10. Substitutes are not full-time substitutes and are not a permanent employee. Substitutes are only employed on an as needed basis. There is no promise for continued employment. Substitute teachers have the ability to accept or deny employment at will; therefore, are not eligible for unemployment benefits when not working as a substitute teacher.
11. Questions, contact Patty Hiatt at 593-8146 extension 228